I decided to try and cut down on my carbon footprint by growing my own food. I started with red peppers and now im trying an avocado tree!
If you want to try too, here are the steps you need to follow:
- Take note of the top and bottom of the avocado seed – this will be vital for the growing process
- Wash the seed to remove any avocado residue
- Peel the outer shell off as this will prevent the roots and flower sprouting
- one third of the way down, pierce the seed, at a downward angle, with 3 cocktail sticks. (Birthday candles work just as well as you can see in my picture!)
- Place on top of a clear glass or plastic cup so you can see when it starts to sprout
- Fill the cup with water until at least half of the seed is covered.
- Place on your windowsill
Now its a waiting game to see when your roots start to grow – good luck!